ABOUT GARTH FRIESEN
From a small town in Canada, to a CEO at a hedge fund and a member of NY Federal Reserve Investor Advisory Committee, Garth Friesen has unique insight into the financial markets and being a successful trader. He is currently CEO at III Capital, a hedge fund management company specializing in fixed-income and credit.
- CEO, III Capital MORE
- Former Member, NY Federal Reserve Investor Advisory Committee MOREFormer Member, FYThe IACFM serves as a forum for informal discussions on financial, economic and public policy issues and helps inform the New York Fed president and senior management. The committee is comprised of leaders in the investment community. Current and former members include Mohamed El Erian, David Tepper, Ray Dalio, Rick Rieder, and Louis Bacon, amongst other noteworthy investors.
- Author, Bite the Ass Off a Bear MORE
- Guest Columnist, Forbes MORE
- Guest Columnist, Yahoo Finance MORE
Garth Friesen started his finance career in 1994 working for Merrill Lynch in London, UK as an interest rate swaps trader. After two years of working as a market-maker at Merrill, he moved to UBS with several colleagues to join their proprietary trading group. At UBS, Garth further developed his skill in the niche area of relative value trading.
He was recruited by III Capital Management in 1998, a well known hedge fund management company that specializes in relative value trading in the fixed income and volatility markets. Over the years at III Capital, he has traded numerous interest rate products in different markets around the globe. Garth has specific experience trading Danish mortgage bonds, US Treasuries, Agency mortgages, municipal derivatives, basis swaps and interest rate swaps and options.
In 2005, he helped III Capital enter the credit business, launching a relative value credit fund for the firm. He was the portfolio manager and oversaw trading of investment grade and high yield corporate bonds, structured credit, non-Agency mortgages and all credit derivatives. Following the successful launch of a long/short credit vehicle and a short credit fund in 2007, he became the Co-CIO (Chief Investment Officer) along with the company’s founder, Cliff Viner. In 2017, he became CEO.
During his tenure as Co-CIO, he served as a member for five years on the esteemed New York Federal Reserve’s Investor Advisory Committee on Financial Markets, advising the Fed’s senior management on financial, economic and public policy issues. He is a regular columnist for Forbes and Yahoo Finance, and has been featured in various media, including CNBC, Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, and many others.
Garth holds an MBA from the Ivy School of Business at the University of Western Ontario and currently lives in Boca Raton, Florida. He is married to his wife, Jeannie, and they have three teenage children. In his spare time, he is an active member of a local Rotary Club and still maintains his Canadian roots by playing hockey every week.
As an expert on the financial markets, Garth is regularly interviewed and quoted in major media outlets such as Bloomberg, The New York Times, Reuters, and much more.
- AlphaMind Podcast
- Behind The Markets Podcast: Garth Friesen & Jason Gerlach
- Hedge Fund Explores Fixed-Income ETFs
- U.S. mortgage bonds rise as Fed stays quiet on paring purchases
- Investors Flinch